Can a handle really elevate your door and make it special? Yes, totally! Handles are functional but choose the right one and you could add drama and create a masterpiece at the same time.
1. Consider the height of the door first and whether or not a long pull handle is right for your door. It is imperative that the door doesn’t look like a commercial front door if it’s for a home, and vice versa. Tip: long pull handles can look commercial if they are too big for the door.
2. Think unusual – handles don’t need to be straight or simple if you are happy to experiment consider handles that have interesting design (like the branch handle by Philip Watts Design), or a feature that works well with the door like our Milano V handle or the beautiful curve of one of our Bronze handles.
3. Finishes are tremendously important so think outside the usual stainless-steel route: You could choose bronze, black or even a colour.
4. If you prefer a very simple look where even a handle isn’t visible, why not have a concealed handle? Concealed handles are very popular with designers who prefer a more streamlined look with no obvious way to pull a door open.
5. Always think of the practicalities. Depending on the type of lock, a pull handle may mean that you can’t open the door without a key. So it may be better to have a lever handle. But a lever handle also means that you’d have to remember to lock the door if the door isn’t self-locking.
6 If you do prefer lever handles to pull handles, keep in mind that lever handles aren’t very big and if your door is oversized, the lever could look tiny and a bit silly. So, considering size is pretty essential.
7. Handles are better fitted back to back. This is because the handles are connected to each other and the force of usage can’t be weakened like if you fit a pull handle on one side of a door.
8. Solid bronze handles are antimicrobial. They have an inherent ability to kill a wide range of harmful microbes relatively rapidly – often within two hours or less – and with a high degree of efficiency.
9. If you choose stainless steel – make sure it’s the right grade of stainless steel. A minimum of 316 marine grade is the best for longevity and maintenance free care.
10. If you can’t find what you are looking for, consider getting a handle made by a blacksmith or metal maker.