The past year has seen a real interest in ‘alternative’ finishes for doors and metallic is right at the top of the list. The trend for copper, rose gold and gold finishes has definitely helped move this forward. Creating impact and the ability to be unique with earthy and natural elements is another reason for the rise as well.
So in which situation does a metallic door work?
- Rendered homes with grey slate roofing and black, grey or rust windows
- Homes with an element of copper, stone or steel cladding or trim
- Homes where an impact is needed for example if the frontage has no interest at all on the front and it needs an impact
- Homes with oversized doors which need a ‘wow’ factor
- Homes with an architectural glazed wall
What would you need to take into account?
- The maintenance: if the door is scratched or damaged it’s harder to fix and needs a specialist
- The cost – these doors need quite a big budget due to the man hours involved.
- The change in the finish as the door oxidises – eventually, the colour on the door will not be as the first day it was fitted.
- Making sure the door is protected enough from weathering with a cover or overhang
How to choose the right finish for your door?
There are quite a few finishes to choose from – you could go quite rough and vintage with a finish that looks old from the minute it’s on or go for a more polished coppery feel. A few things to consider:
- A mood board would be a great idea here: this will help take into account external and internal finishes to make sure you get it right
- Marrying all the accessories around the door so that the whole thing works as a whole – this includes the handle
- The texture of the finish can be quite strong/ impactful and so making sure the texture works is also essential. A contemporary building for instance may look better with something that is a little more industrial than sharp and polished
- Samples, samples and more samples – making sure you have a big enough sample to really be aware of the impact the door will have
To the side, you will find various images of metallic doors we have made and some of the projects that we get requests for this finish for. Some even still in progress! For more information, please call our office on 01494778787.