Elizabeth Assaf gives some insight into what questions to ask about the security of your front door and entrance.
Most of us don’t realise the amount of choice out there when it comes to choosing the security for our front door. A lock and a deadlock is all most people want until you tell them how many options there are and what endless opportunity to play with their entrance system is available.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself about your home and entrance, first, before deciding on that most important element – the security.
- How much security do you need? If you have gates for instance, the security of your front door may not be so essential. Does your area have a good track record when it comes to break ins? Do you need a front door that has multiple locking options? A motorised locking system that locks the minute you enter your home may make you feel more secure in an area which may be near a river or by a busy road. On the other hand, a single lock may be sufficient if you live in secure development or area. Although, Urban Front doors come as standard with a 5point locking system, you can still specify what suits your lifestyle the best.
- Do you have a large house? Will you need to be able to open your front door remotely from another floor or even when you are not home? In this case, you may need an electric latch on your lock which allows you to buzz people in when you are at home. You could have an electric latch or a motorised lock, the latter being much more secure
- Do you need your front door to be controllable using something similar to Savant or Control 4 systems or using a phone app? It is now a much easier option to have your lock or entry system attached to your phone and controllable at the touch of a button. Not only can you open your blinds and turn on your heating remotely, but you can also open your door too if someone is waiting for you.
- Are you worried about your children losing their keys? Or Do you have family or staff visiting who may need constant access? Would a Finger print entry system be the best option for you and your family? Finger Print entry allows you to enter or remove up to 100 finger prints at any one time. This is a great system when you have teenagers who are constantly forgetting or losing their keys – it is much harder to lose your finger!!
- Will you actually use your front door often? Quite a few people have secondary doors that really act as the main door to the home. Perhaps that door and its’ function is more important to you.
- Do you need to be able to see your visitors through a door viewer or an entry system? We have been asked in the past for bullet proof door viewers as some of our customers take all of these aspects of their security into consideration. An entry system with a screen could also be a way for you to see who is waiting outside.
- Would it be better to have obscured glass in your entrance so that when you are away – it is not obvious to a caller or intruder? Letting your post sit on your internal door mat may seem to be a good idea until someone can see it from outside and then it is very obvious that you are not there.
- Do you need a letterbox in your door? Have you considered where it will go and how it effects the security of your door? A letterbox in the middle of your door may make it easier for an intruder to access your lock (although with difficulty – its best to give them no way in if you can).
- Have you thought about the security of the glass in your door or in the side lite? High security glass is sometimes misunderstood and confused with laminated and toughened standard double glazing. Security glass is much more than laminated and toughened glass and when used correctly, can be tougher to get through than a wall but can be very costly.
It should be easier to make decisions about security if you ask yourselves these questions. If in doubt, always ask your supplier to give you as much information as possible regarding any testing they have done for their front doors and what certifications have been reached.
For further information, please call Urban Front on 01494 778787