It’s hard to argue against the beauty of a hardwood front door. Its raw textural appeal and natural qualities make it an undeniably aspirational type of door.
But how does a wood front door compare to other materials - like aluminium, steel or engineered wood - when it comes to longevity and durability over time?
Will it last for 30 years and still look as good? What are the most critical things you need to know if you were considering a wood front door for your forever home?
Read on to find out.
Using wood as a building material comes with a host of benefits that make it a popular choice for many homeowners and builders alike.
Here are a selection of the many advantages:
1. Excellent insulation: Wood has naturally high insulation and thermal values, providing sound and heat insulation (even before our enhanced specifications are applied).
2. Durability: Wood is known for its exceptional strength and durability, outperforming other materials such as aluminium, steel and composite wood. This means that wooden structures can withstand the test of time.
3. Versatile design: Wood offers a range of design choices, giving homeowners the ability to create unique and personalised spaces that can suit any design style.
4. Beautiful texture: The natural texture and warmth of wood make it a visually appealing material that adds character and charm to any home. From smooth, polished finishes to rustic, natural looks, there is a wood style to suit any taste.
5. Abundance of finishing options: With a range of finishes available, including stains, paints and lacquers, wooden doors can be customised to suit any style preference.
6. Easy to renew and repair: Wood doors are an easy-to-renew and repair option, ensuring they can be maintained to a high standard for a longer lifespan.
7. Sustainable: Wood is an environmentally friendly choice, with replanted forests and reusable waste ensuring a sustainable supply for future generations
8. Longevity: Wooden structures are known for their longevity, with properly maintained wood lasting for decades or even centuries, making it a great investment.
We touched on design as a benefit above, but here’s why it’s such an important feature for wooden doors.
1. Creativity: Wood, in general, allows the maker or designer to start from a blank canvas and be very creative. As the natural wood grain will always create its own individual look, even a “plain” design front door can be transformative. Or, you can adopt different panel styles in vertical, horizontal or geometric designs depending on the existing or desired style of your property.
2. Unique Character: Every type of wood has a different character in colour and grain. Even doors from the same type of wood have their own individual character. No single natural hardwood door is the same as another.
3. Timeless: Wood is timeless so it can pass through generations and still look current.
When it comes to selecting the wood species for your front door, there are a few things to consider to ensure that you choose the best option for your home.
1. Cladding considerations: If your house has cladding, you will need to decide between matching or contrasting – and there can be subtleties in both. Matching charred cladding with an ebony-oiled front door is a popular choice. Alternatively, you may prefer the contrast of greying cladding with a fumed oak or iroko front door.
2. Maintenance requirements: Consider the level of maintenance you’re prepared to undertake. Lighter hardwoods like oak and iroko are better suited for very exposed properties. While the installation of a substantial canopy can open up a wider range of wood choices where maintenance can be kept more minimal. See more in the maintenance section below.
3. Complementing the style of your house: The style and colour of your home can influence your wood selection. For instance, red brick may not match well with Iroko, which is quite red itself, but is very suite to European oak. White or cream render is more versatile and works with most wood colours. Consider the colour of your windows too. A popular colourway is white render with dark grey windows and a European Oak door. You can also choose a wood that makes a statement, such as Fumed Oak, to add impact to your home's design.
While there are numerous benefits to using wood for your front door, there are also a few things to consider. Natural hardwood is more expensive than other materials and needs expert craftsmanship to select and work the wood. This concept is also what also adds to its allure and exclusivity.
Maintaining your wooden front door is essential to keep it looking great and performing well. However, it doesn’t need to be daunting or put you off from choosing a wooden front door.
Think of it like getting your car serviced once a year and occasionally needing an oil change or to replace a small part to pass your MOT. In fact, there are ways to reduce maintenance and keep it hassle-free.
Here are five tips to help you maintain your wooden front door:
1. The best cure, as they say, is prevention and a large canopy/porch is the number one recommended way to help you minimise maintenance and protect your wooden door from the elements.
2. Consider the location of your door on the building during the planning stages of your home. South-facing doors will receive more sun and rain and those doors would need more protection and/or maintenance. So take this into account when choosing the location.
3. Choose the right finish for the location of your home. If the door is going to be more exposed to a lot of rain and sun, it's better to protect it with a lacquer. If oiled, it will require more frequent maintenance.
4. Be honest about how often you will perform maintenance. If you don't think you'll be able to do it regularly, consider booking a finishing service in advance.
5. Take your time and do the maintenance properly. Rushing the job or doing it too lightly will result in needing to repeat it sooner, so make sure to take your time and do it right.
A wooden front door is an excellent choice for your home. With the proper planning and maintenance, a wooden front door can last for decades and become a family heirloom.
Choosing the right wood for your front door can be challenging, but with expert advice and careful consideration, you can find the perfect wood to suit your style and budget. A wooden front door is an investment in your home that will not only increase its curb appeal but also provide warmth and security for your family.
Give us a call on 01494 778 787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about choosing a custom wood front door for your home or project and understand all your options.